Wednesday 28 March 2007

Won't You Shut The F**K Up I'm A-Just Trying To Watch The Band

There are plenty of things that annoy me in life - Second Choice Steve being in charge of England, people breaking into my car, not being tall enough to see anything at gigs - but one of the things right at the top of the list is people talking during gigs.

Working in the media, you do become kind of immune to archetypal media-types not paying attention cos they only went to get a free dinner/free drinks out of the PR - but I REALLY don't understand why anyone would pay for a ticket to see someone and then talk all the way through the show.

I especially don't understand it when people do it for an up and coming singer-songwriter like Josh Pyke. It's just him and his guitar. He can't drown you out with swathes of feedback. Just shut up!

As it says on the Luminaire website (for it was here I saw Josh last night):
"Q: I'm an idiot who likes to come to gigs and stand at the bar talking very loudly, ruining the performance for others. I don't seem to be able to accept that I'm being rude, inconsiderate and disrespectful. Am I welcome to come in?
A. No."


Well apparently they didn't manage to keep those people out tonight. But anyway, Josh handles it very well - plays his lovely shimmering pop songs with real aplomb. Just him and his two guitars. And his guitar stand. Which gets a round of applause. Stripped down to their bones the songs really shine through, especially 'Private Education', which was a real stand-out. If you get the chance to check him out whilst he's out supporting Scott Matthews, you should really take it. And if the person next to you won't shut up, do everyone else in the crowd a favour and suggest to them the place for conversation really is the pub, not a gig.

www.myspace.com/joshpyke

1 comment:

whoabecca said...

Mark, next time SAY SOMETHING to these people. It's so satisfying to tell people off.